Get the free shadow box paper art SVG template (Design #144) at https://jennifermaker.com/shadow-box-paper-art-template-customize/
Make a beautiful picture using just layers of paper with my step-by-step tutorial! This shadow box paper art template makes for a stunning conversation piece or gift.
MATERIALS LIST (contains my affiliate links):
* 65 lb. 12″ x 12″ white or light colored paper (I used this exact brand, type, and color: https://www.michaels.com/recollections-cardstock-paper-white/10356415.html ) — note: I think 80 lb. paper is too thick and won’t allow the light to shine through as well
* Clear adhesive 3D Zots (I used these exact ones: https://amzn.to/2T7btNE ) or something else to space your layers paper, like weather stripping
* Tacky glue (I use this exact brand: https://amzn.to/2TE1lRF )
* (Optional) Shadow box display frame – https://amzn.to/2VZODcQ (you can get them from Amazon, IKEA, Michaels, and JoAnns)
* (Optional) LED light strip at least 36″ long (I used this one from Lowes – https://www.lowes.com/pd/good-earth-lighting-led-indoor-tape-light-72-0-in-plug-in-under-cabinet-led-tape-light – and this one from Menards – https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/indoor-lighting/accent-lights/patriot-lighting-reg-16-4-white-flexible-led-tape-light/led3528tw5m-m/p-1444426176143.htm, but you can also get them at Amazon – https://amzn.to/2Th2Q3t )
* A way to cut your paper (I used the amazing Cricut – https://jennifermaker.com/cricut-maker-vs-cricut-explore-whats-different-best/ – but you can use another cutting machine or even a craft knife like an X-acto knife)
* My free SVG cut file for the secret garden shadow box paper art template (Design #144) (available in my free resource library—get the password at https://jennifermaker.com/library )
UPDATES/CHANGES: Check for any updates, changes, or additional videos for this project at https://jennifermaker.com/updates
I love creating paper art! You can do SO much with it, and it always amazes me how versatile it is. Like how you can layer paper to create a 3D scene like the one in the photo above, which I call my Secret Garden. The layers of paper create depth and drama. And when you put light behind the shadow box paper art, you can see it come to life. The shadows and light create a magical effect.
To make this Shadow Box Paper Art project, you’ll need 65 lb. white or light-colored paper. I used 12″ x 12″ white and pastel paper for the two shadow boxes in this tutorial. It’s important that you use 65 lb. cardstock — regular 20 or 24 lb. paper will be too light and see-through, and heavier 80 lb. cardstock won’t let enough light in.
You also need a way to cut your paper layers. You could use a knife, but I used a Cricut. I have the free templates for this shadow box paper art design in my free resource library. Or create your own silhouette and put it in there instead.
HOW TO MAKE SHADOW BOX PAPER ART
STEP 1: FIND OR MAKE A SHADOW BOX PAPER ART TEMPLATE
If you’d like to use my Secret Garden shadow box paper art template, you can get my free design in my resource library ( https://jennifermaker.com/resource-library/ ). Don’t forget to unzip it.
STEP 2. CUSTOMIZE YOUR SHADOW BOX PAPER ART TEMPLATE
Size to fit your shadow box frame, if you’re using one. Use the resize button in the lower right corner to resize.
Put in the focal elements you want and remove the rest.
Delete any layers you do not want to include.
STEP 3: CUT YOUR SHADOW BOX PAPER ART
Cut on a Cricut or with an X-acto knife
STEP 4: ASSEMBLE YOUR SHADOW BOX PAPER ART
STEP 5: (OPTIONAL) PUT YOUR SHADOW BOX PAPER ART IN A FRAME
Put it in a frame with or without LED lights. Most LED tape lights have self-adhesive backings, so you can just peel off the backing and place them around the inside edge of your frame.
What I really like about this shadow box paper art is that it looks good with the lights on and off, and yet really very different. You can experiment with paper colors for a unique look — just remember to keep the colors light so the light can shine through. Another idea is to paint the sky paper layer a light blue or something like that to give your shadow box a bit more character.
#cricut #cricutmade #designspace
I appreciate every subscriber. It’s free and easy to subscribe — just click: http://bit.ly/sub2jennifer
Follow me at:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/jennifermakercrafts
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cricutcraftersandmakers/
Please subscribe to my channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/jennifermaker for more video tutorials to craft a life you love!
Introduction: PixelBytes (my child!)
Music: Cute by Bensound (licensed, royalty and copyright free)
Videography: Jennifer Marx on a Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 DSLR 4K camera
Design: A Jennifer Maker original!